Cairo Museum – Egypt
The Egyptian Museum of Antiquities contains many important pieces of ancient Egyptian history. It houses the world’s largest collection of Pharaonic antiquities, and many treasures of King Tutankhamen. The Egyptian government established the museum, built in 1835 near the Ezbekeyah Garden. The museum soon moved to Boulaq in 1858 because the original building was getting to be too small to hold all of the artifacts. In 1855, shortly after the artifacts were moved, Archduke Maximilian of Austria was given all of the artifacts. He hired a French architect to design and construct a new museum for the antiquities. The new building was to be constructed on the bank of the Nile River in Boulaq. In 1878, after the museum has been completed for some time, it suffered some irreversible damage; a flood of the Nile River caused the antiquities to be relocated to another museum, in Giza. The artifacts remained there until 1902 when they were moved, for the last time, to the current museum in Tahrir Square. During the Egyptian Revolution of 2011, the museum was broken into, and two mummies were reportedly destroyed. Several artifacts were also shown to have been damaged.
The Museum also comprises a photography section and a large library. The Egyptian museum comprises many sections arranged in chronological order:
- The first section houses Tutankhamun’s treasures.
- The second section houses the pre-dynasty and the Old Kingdom monuments.
- The third section houses the first intermediate period and the Middle Kingdom monuments.
- The forth section houses the monuments of the Modern Kingdom.
- The fifth section houses the monuments of the late period and the Greek and Roman periods.
- The sixth section houses coins and papyrus.
- The seventh section houses sarcophagi and scarabs.
A hall for the royal mummies was opened at the museum, housing eleven kings and queens. More than a million and half tourists visit the museum annually, in addition to half a million Egyptians.
Where the world start, Cairo museum shows the facts from that point. It is wonder to see such a great collection .You must visit this.
Open daily, 9:00 AM-7:00 PM, 9:00 AM-5:00 PM during Ramadan.